pc will not boot

malgall 16:20 06 Apr 2008

i have an old amd 2100 xp own build and it now gets to a screen saying last time you computer did not shut down correctly choose safe mode or safe mode and network or last good configeration
when i make a choice it just freeze up at that screen checked bios all drives have been detected

any advice please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 06 Apr 2008

corrupt windows files or drive, try a repair install:

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Technotiger 16:30 06 Apr 2008

Check all internal/external connections. Re-seat RAM and if present, Graphics card too. then try again. Make sure everything is clean and dust-free while you are at it.

daxian 16:31 06 Apr 2008

hi malgall....
you will need to run chkdsk ....boot form the windows cd ,choose recovery console ,then type in chkdsk /f
that should sort it out ...Dave

malgall 17:19 06 Apr 2008

thenkyou fruit bat i had tried this but nothing happened i have just took the cd out and it was the service pack cd not xp cd
tried again and looking good
thanks for telling me how to get to repair

malgall 19:23 06 Apr 2008

thank you damage to windows mostly fixed
but have decided to do a clean install
and with trueimage i own make sure i have a backup copy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?