PC wants to run Windows setup again

Never again 20:10 11 Sep 2010

Hi

My mother in laws pc (packard bell running windows xp) was having trouble with the display because of a faulty graphics card.

I have replaced the card with another (not the same) and now on reboot it wants to run windows first setup again.

I was hoping just to replace the graphics card and not to have to worry about the data which was on the pc, but I'm sure that if I run setup again I'll lose the lot.

I have tried booting into safe mode but it just tells me that setup is incomplete?

I am looking at a welcome to windows screen right now which says thank you for purchasing this computer from packard bell featuring microsoft windows xp. lets spend a few minutes setting up your computer.

Your suggestions would be most welcome please.

rdave13 20:35 11 Sep 2010

Try booting up without a GPU card incase it has onboard graphics chip. If it does then uninstall the original card's driver. You have only two to think of. Nvidea and Ati.
Once you have uninstalled the original driver for your gpu then log off and shut down. Disconnect from' mains' then insert new GPU card. Boot up and you should see ' new hardware' pop-up.
Ignore Windows installation wizard and use the CD that came with your GPU card to install.

Never again 20:43 11 Sep 2010

but it does not have any on board graphics, so I need to have a card in the PCI-E slot.

rdave13 20:46 11 Sep 2010

What card have you replaced?

birdface 20:57 11 Sep 2010

I think most computers have onboard graphics.I have no card in mine.

Never again 21:44 11 Sep 2010

I'm not sure at the moment what card it was as the pc is downstairs, but it was a 256mb PCI-E card.

I have replaced it with a 128MB PCI-E ATI card, but it should not really make any difference what brand it is - it clearly works as I can see stuff on the monitor. I expected to download the updated drivers for the ATI once I booted into the old windows desktop

There is definitely no video output interface from the motherboard.

If it helps I will go and get the model number.

VOT Productions 21:49 11 Sep 2010

Funny but good solution. Check if there isn't a Windows XP CD in the CD/DVD Drive.

rdave13 22:03 11 Sep 2010

In your original post you say " trouble with the display because of a faulty graphics card."
You then say you replaced the original with an ATI card.
If the 'original' card was an Nvidia then you'd expect trouble.
On the other hand if you replaced a pci-e ATI card, not of the same properties, with another ATI card you will still have problems.
Driver issues usually.
Use a search engine to see what drivers can and can't do for you.

Never again 22:32 11 Sep 2010

There is no media in the dvd drive.

The original display was very blocky and pixelated, which is why I suspected that the graphics card was the problem.

I have put in the new graphics card and expected windows to boot/ detect new hardware/ and then install the new drivers, which I haven't actually downloaded yet, but I am faced with this windows setup screen - in glorious clarity.

Surely, the bios doesn't think that the system is new just bacause the graphics card has been replaced?

Is it worth me booting with an ubuntu cd I have to solve the problem - If I can access a previous restore point can reinstall windows from that?

VOT Productions 22:34 11 Sep 2010

Go through the setup.

Never again 22:39 11 Sep 2010

If I go through the setup will I lose the previous setup and data?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires