Pc wakes with a blank screen after hibernation

SB23 17:03 21 Sep 2007

After using the hibernation function today, I pressed a key to wake my pc up, and I was left with just a blank screen.
I had to restart the pc with the power button, and after logging back in, I had a NVCPL.DLL error come up.
Are these two related, or are they both showing signs of other problems ahead?

Thanks

Steve

skidzy 17:07 21 Sep 2007

Try updating your NVIDIA driver click here

Is this a XP or Vista machine.The hibernation wakeup is a known issue with Vista.

SB23 17:09 21 Sep 2007

Sorry, its an XP machine, but I've never had problems with it before, and why now?

skidzy 17:12 21 Sep 2007

Obviously you have a corrupt DLL (NVCPL.DLL) could have been caused by anything basically.

The link i gave is the latest driver,just download to your desktop and double click the forceware icon and install.

This will load new DLL's

Clapton is God 17:12 21 Sep 2007

click here

If your OS is XP and you "pressed a key to wake my pc up", the PC was not hibernating.

When an XP PC hibernates it actually powers off and you have to press the power button on the tower to bring it out of hibernation.

SB23 17:22 21 Sep 2007

That I don't understand, the reason that I say that is the fact that every time I've used it, the pc tells me that its preparing for hibernation, a bar comes up across the bottom, then goes off.

Clapton is God 17:36 21 Sep 2007

click here and scroll down to 'Hibernate Turns It Off, but Saves Your State'

SB23 18:59 22 Sep 2007

I've reinstalled my Nvidia driver, and the error that I was getting has now gone, but this afternoon I've realised that standby isn't working either. Standby resumes to a blue screen, with the egg timer cursor that doesn't go away.

Stuartli 20:02 22 Sep 2007

Check in the Bios that ACPI/Power Management is set to at least S4 (there may be an Auto setting).

SB23 20:05 22 Sep 2007

Already looked there, choice of either S1 or S3,was on S3 so I left it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?