PC very slow booting up...HELP!

Kenty75 10:50 01 Nov 2007

PC has suddnely taken ages to boot up, quite literally 20 minutes!

Everything was fine with it recently now this has started happening!

Can anyone give me any tips or advice on how to get it back to normal?

birdface 11:43 01 Nov 2007

Right click Taskbar.Task Manager.processes. Under CPU System Idle Process should be showing about 97%.What other processes are using a high % of the CPU.

birdface 11:48 01 Nov 2007

Also Update all your security Programs and run them in safe mode.Have you downloaded any new A/Virus or Spyware programs that may be running at start up.What a/v spyware and Firewall programs do you use.Make sure all your air vents at the back of the computer are free from dust and fluff.

birdface 11:51 01 Nov 2007

Speed test.click here Just to make sure that you are getting the proper download speed from your ISP.

Kenty75 11:55 01 Nov 2007

Thanks for the help so far, can't try these out until this evening.

With regards to virus/spyware, I use Norton that updates automatically and ad-ware.

I haven't added anything at all over the past 2 days, so no idea why this has started happening! I'll get abck to you soon as!

Thanks again!

tobyjug472002 12:07 01 Nov 2007

If you are using Norton Antivirus it might be set-up to do a scan at boot-up. Personally i dislike Norton due to this if not configured correctly?

Regards

birdface 12:07 01 Nov 2007

Norton anti-virus or Norton Internet Security.

Kenty75 12:18 01 Nov 2007

I'll have to check , I think it's anti virus, will get back to you this eveing.

Norton only updates when up and running and usually just ticks away in the background. I run complete checks every so often and havn't had problems before, update ad-ware every time I use the PC too.

thanks again.

birdface 12:54 01 Nov 2007

If it was Internet security it would also be your Firewall.Or do you have another Firewall.

Kenty75 13:54 01 Nov 2007

you're right... it's the firewall aswell!

birdface 17:37 01 Nov 2007

To save a lot of time.I would delete NIS using the removal tool. click here run C Cleaner..Then re-install Norton.See if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?