PC Upgrades-physical dimensions!

wotbus@ 10:43 25 Mar 2003

I am at the crossroads between complete upgrade or new PC.While reading the pro's/con's for various mobo's and VGA's etc, it suddenly occurred to me the new components,(bigger and better!) may not have enough room inside the tower!My question is: Do manufacturers stick to a size formula in order to make replacement straightforward?. Any advice would be welcome.

Belatucadrus 11:09 25 Mar 2003

I had to buy new as it soon became clear that new mobo sockets would not have fitted my old tower case without fairly major surgery. I also felt that my old 200watt PSU would have strained to run a new set up. But it all depends how old your current system is.

rct 11:10 25 Mar 2003

Up to a point yes, there are "form-factors" AT, ATX, mini-ATX etc. to try and avoid this problem. If the PC you are thiking of upgrading has a major brand case eg. Dell or Gateway then you may find the case was built on a modified form factor to only fit their own components, if your case is more generic then you shouldn't have a problem although you must remember than a lot of new kit requires better cooling and power supplies.

wotbus@ 11:20 25 Mar 2003

Thanks Belatucadrus.The PC is fairly new, HP PAV 7845. I just wondered as most people who build their own start with a tower (don't they?) and then is it just a case of hoping everything will fit?

wotbus@ 11:24 25 Mar 2003

Thanks RCT. I just wondered about physical dimentions. Because I didnt list PSU its not because I hadnt considered it. But I think you have answered my question. Thanks again.

wotbus@ 11:27 25 Mar 2003

Sorry, thats dimensions with an "s".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone