PC Upgrade - yes or no ?

LaserSailor 12:46 04 May 2006

I'm confused and would appreciate some advice. I have two PC's that I replaced when they could not cope speedwise with me moving from dial-up to broadband internet access. Is there any economic benefit in trying to upgrade them myself or should I take them to my PC recyler ? If the latter, is there any point in keeping te hard drives to use as exta storage when hooked up to a cage with a USB ?
If there is no point in upgrading why is there so much emphasis in the mag on PC components ?

Thankyou

Smiler 13:17 04 May 2006

I cannot see how a computer was not able to cope with the upgrade from dial up to broadband??

rmcqua 13:21 04 May 2006

Well, I guess that really depends on whether you have a use for additonal PCs, if you upgrade them, or if you know someone who needs one at a sensible price. If you are thinking of upgrading them and then selling them, I would say forget it. You are unlikely to recover even the cost of the components, and then there is the after-sale liability that many purchasers think you are still responsible for every little thing going wrong with the PC 3 years later!
As for HDDs, depends on their size. With sizes continuing to rise and prices continuing to fall, unless they are 20Gb >, I would suggest they are not worth keeping.
On the other hand, if you do have a friend or family member who could use a reasonable PC (homework, web surfing, DVDs etc.) you could do a pretty good upgrade for about £250.
All this, of course, is just my opinion. Others will feel differently. Good luck, whatever you decide.

LaserSailor 13:37 04 May 2006

Tx guys - Smiler by the time I loaded AVG,Spybot and Zonealarm the pc's ran really slowly

keef66 13:40 04 May 2006

If they are so old they wouldn't cope with broadband (??) they are probably not worth upgrading.

Processors? HDD sizes? Memory size / speed?

Every time I have considered upgrading an older pc it turns out the most cost effective thing to do is replace the mobo, cpu and ram. Even buying as a bundle this is likely to cost £200 or more, then you have to consider whether your HDD's, power supply and case cooling are still adequate. Before long you're looking at Dell's prices and questioning the sanity of spending over £250 on an upgrade.

ACOLYTE 14:20 04 May 2006

Most BB suppliers send you a CD with there software on,and they usually inspect the system before they install anything and if your specs are not up to it they don't install.Usually they only need a certain CPU speed a certain amount of HD space and OS later than win 98 to work,it should tell you what they failed on,then you only need upgrade that part,but it has already been said BB is really a not that big a deal so if it failed on install you may be better buying a new pc than upgrading,you may find it more cost effective.

Belatucadrus 15:07 04 May 2006

Problem with upgrading is that the age of a PC has a significant effect on the price of components. Upgrading parts on a PC using current technology is usually fairly easy and cheep. But older machines almost always need parts that are no longer in mass production and as a result fitting new becomes ludicrously expensive and not worth the effort. The best option would be to check out e-bay or a computer fair.
As to the viability of upgrading your machines, post the specifications and weigh the different opinions you'll get.

LaserSailor 15:56 04 May 2006

Looks like a trip to the recycle man will have to be organised.

Does all this mean that people who do upgrade are just tinkering around to get relatively small improvements with a view to keeping the PC fully up to current standards ?

Belatucadrus 17:03 04 May 2006

"tinkering around to get relatively small improvements"
Some do, hard core gamers will go to extreme lengths to squeeze just that bit more out of a PC.
Others find that a bit more RAM and a new graphics card is plenty, it's always a case of suck it a see. Stick all the variables together, check the cost and see if you think it's worth it, it'll always be a judgement call.

flicb 17:16 04 May 2006

If you don't have need of it any more, you could always donate it to charity.

Totally-braindead 18:00 04 May 2006

LaserSailor you've never said anything about what these 2 PCs are. If they are reasonable speedwise then perhaps all they will need is a bit more memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?