PC upgrade advice?

john harvey 16:58 26 Jan 2003

I currently run a 750 Duron system with a SIS motherboard, 40GB hard drive, 8/4/32CD-RW (which I have never got to write faster than 2X without buffer under run errors), 256k ram, onboard sound and graphics. It is about 2 years old and I got it from some cowboys which I have lived to regret ever since.

I would like to upgrade to a faster system with a new processor, mother board, CD-RW, decent graphics and sound. I have about £300/£350 to spend. The monitor, keyboard, case, etc are fine.

There seem so many options I am, to be honest, a bit bewildered.

Would love to hear anyones recommendations.

Also how easy is it to do. I have had PC's for many years and am fairly competent technically but out of date with the state of PC building. Is plug and now a reality, not just a marketting ploy as it was when I used to work on windows 95 systems?

Thanks

Lú-tzé 17:09 26 Jan 2003

Try novatech (or similar) who sell bundles - mobo, processor and RAM ready installed and configured. Then you can choose a graphics card / powersupply / sound card.

click here for some ideas about it.

Plug and play is almost a reality - sometimes there are incompatibilites and at times conflicts but for the most part it works ok.

jediknight007 18:12 26 Jan 2003

Hi, I recently was in the same situation as you. I had a Time PC (with regret) with an AMD K6-2 500Mhz CPU, 384MB PC100 SDRAM, mATX case with a 175W PSU and a mATX Microstar motherboard. I managed to upgrade it to a Duron 1.3Ghz CPU running on an ECS K7S5A motherboard in a Nokia 8870 ATX case with a 350W PSU and side fan for only £104 from a computer fair. Of course, I would have saved like £10 if I bought all that from click here but I couldn't resist. It manages to run anything I want and I think it was worth the upgrade since I didn't want to spend that much on things such as DDR RAM.

Here is what I was able to find for you:

From ebuyer:

- AMD ATHLON XP2100+ 266MHz FSB for £69.14

- 256MB DDR PC2100 RAM for £32.31

- Asus A7V333A Skt A KT333 Chip XP Ready Audio for £62.27

- Tx 48x24x48 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive With Nero / SW - OEM for £39.37

- Gainward Geforce4 Ti-4200 64Mb DDR AGP Powerpack! Ultra/650 for £101.85

- sound is onboard the Asus motherboard

All that adds up to £313.75 for next day delivery. I do personally think though that is a bit too much. If you prefer the AMD ATHLON XP1700+ 266MHz FSB and the Inno3D Tornado GeForce4 MX440 64Mb DDR with TV-Out - Retail Box, it comes to only £228.27. It's your choice after all. Should give you an indication of what you can expect with those prices, no matter where you choose to buy from.

john harvey 21:26 26 Jan 2003

Thanks guys, plenty for me to go on there!

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?