PC unable to access shared files on home network

headache56 08:45 31 Jul 2009

To summarise, when at my Secondary PC a Dell9150 (IP address 192.168.1.107) connected to my home Network via WiFi, I am UNABLE to access the shared files stored on my primary Desktop PC an HP 6140 (IP address 192.168.1.101). Conversely, sharing of a printer and the internet connection works 100% OK.

Running a Microsoft Knowledgebase Article (KB314067) has not helped my solve the problem but it has thrown up a couple of interesting points which may give a clue:-

(1) When pinging from my primary desktop PC to the secondary one, I get a message "Destination Host Unreachable".

(2) When I ran "Hostname" from the command prompt on the secondary PC, it shows itself as the Host, rather than showing the primary PC as the host.

Both (1) and (2) above sound suspicious candidates to me but I do not know what to check / fix next. Per an earlier suggestion, I have made both the IP addresses "Trusted Sites". Any steer would be much appreciated .

Pictures of the Ping test results are attached:
---------------------------------------------

click here

click here

headache56 08:47 31 Jul 2009

Soory - the way this site seems to operate it looks like the Photobucket URL is removed by the site.

headache56 09:00 31 Jul 2009

Ah here are the pictures:

click here

click here

Strawballs 22:21 31 Jul 2009

Make sure both are using the same workgroup name and that any firewalls are set to accept traffic from your local network.

What operating systems do the 2 machines run?

headache56 21:22 02 Aug 2009

Strawballs - Thank you. OK, will try.

My main desktop (where the shared files are stored) runs on Vista Home Premium 32 whilst the Secondary PC runs XP.

I (my sons) also have 2 other laptops that run on XP but I did not mention them as they access the shared files 100% OK.

manishfusion 17:13 03 Aug 2009

hey i have windows vista ultimate . whenever i share my files to other computers it doesnt work . i have tried many things but i could success any one please help me out what problem is this i am so irritate from it .
Yes that is a nice idea but have you ever thought of going up to the biggest guy on the subway and telling him your thoughts on this. I wonder what he might do, or would you even do it.

headache56 17:25 03 Aug 2009

Manishfusion,

I found that when using VISTA, all the files to be shared must be in the PUBLIC directory. I know some folks do not agree, some say it is not necessary to do this and that there are probably some security implications. However, it works for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?