PC turns off shortly after turning on

Tomski_1991 11:41 20 Mar 2011

Hi guys!

The other day, my desktop PC just turned off while I was rendering a video. Now I can't get it to start up.

It will turn on until it 'beeps' and then just turn off again. If I leave it for a long time I can get to the Windows loading screen, but I have never been able to reach the login screen. I have made sure the cables are firmly connected and I've tried using different power sockets, but I'm getting no luck.

After what I have read on the net so far, it sounds as though the power supply needs replacing. However I'm very reluctant to spend money on a new power supply if this is not what's causing the problem. Are there any diagnostics I can take to determine the problem, without spending any money?

My PC is a Packard Bell B2619UK E1500 running Windows Vista.

Thanks for your help :)

Terry Brown 12:12 20 Mar 2011

On the chance that the problem is caused by overheating.

After disconnecting the power supply, remove the fan from the top of the processor and carefully check for any dust inbetween the fins.

The easiest way to do this is wirh a plastic cocktail stick to remove the bulk of the dust and then a can of compressed air to remove the rest.

Replace fan and reconnect fan power supply.

As you was rendering a video at the time,there is apossibiity that the graphis card has been overloladed and failed.If your motherboard has a build in graphics socket,try using that to see if the computer will start.
Terry

Diemmess 12:16 20 Mar 2011

Agree with l24 except that now you have the brute switching off too soon to have overheated the processor.
My guess is the PSU.

Tomski_1991 13:27 20 Mar 2011

Thanks for the responses.

@l24 I'm sure you've realised that the thread you linked to was also created by me lol. I created two just to speed things along a bit.

Here's a picture of the inside of my PC:

click here

The arrows shows the fans that I can see, which I assume are the CPU and power supply fans. Both seem to be running ok. I have removed the dust that was on them, but there was very minimal anyway.

@Diemmess Although I don't know much about computer hardware, my initial thoughts agreed with you, that it's not on for long enough to overheat. But like I said, I don't know much so I could well be wrong.

lotvic 14:18 20 Mar 2011

To start to diagnose you need to strip it down to basics to see if it will display the Bios screen without shutting off.

When needed switch off pc by holding in the power button on pc tower, then switch off at wall socket.

Disconnect the Harddrive, the graphics card and plug display into the onboard graphics. Disconnect any other bits you have added.

Reseat the ram memory sticks - take them out and then reinsert them.

Switch pc on and see if Bios will display and pc stays on for a period of time (half an hour ish) without shutting down.
If when it is fully stripped down it still shuts off then it is either the psu causing it, or the cpu overheating, which might need to have its thermal paste cleaned off and new put on.

Once you have got the Bios to display without it shutting down you can gradually add parts back one by one until you find out what is causing shutdown.

woodchip 15:15 20 Mar 2011

As above my guess is first CPU Heatsink full of muck, or PSU needs replacing

Tomski_1991 15:22 20 Mar 2011

Do I need to disconnect the power from the hard drive as well?

And my PC doesn't have a separate graphics card so it's already using the integrated one.

lotvic 15:43 20 Mar 2011

disconnect the power from the hard drive
Yes, might as well, make it like it's not there at all.

lotvic 15:50 20 Mar 2011

I have a feeling it may be a bad stick of ram, so if you have more than one stick in, try them one by one and then in different slot one by one.

961 15:59 20 Mar 2011

Forgive me for being ridiculous but from your picture the computer is actually standing on its back, unless the photo needs rotating

The power supply unit, at the bottom in the photo, should be at the vertical back of the computer so that the fan arrowed is pushing air out of the back of the machine. The way the photo is displayed it is actually pushing air into the small space underneath the machine. The computer needs rotating anti clockwise through 90 degrees surely

Many computers also have a third fan to blow air out of the machine at the back

Tomski_1991 16:35 20 Mar 2011

@lotvic Ok, I shall try that now.

@961 The picture was taken upside down. It's actually laying on its right hand side. Here, this should make it a bit clearer:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone