pc turning itself on!

annie1206 10:22 11 Jul 2007

i posted yesterday that my pc was turning itself on and off, i got a couple of replies to swap the PSU, which has semi worked, the pc does now turn off as soon as i ask it to , but in the middle of the night it started up all on its little own again! frightened the poo out of me! what is going on?

robbiepaul79 10:25 11 Jul 2007

Call a priest...

Is the computer connected to modem at all?

annie1206 10:29 11 Jul 2007

no just a wireless router. none of my settings should have changed, at least i hope not....

[email protected] 10:31 11 Jul 2007

in bios check wake on lan is dissabled

annie1206 10:34 11 Jul 2007

i'm not very pc wise, how do i check that? i'm quick at picking stuff up if its not too difficult!

[email protected] 10:57 11 Jul 2007

depends, when you turn the pc on, bios is the set up menu, on one of my pc's i press the f11 key on the other it's delete.
i do however wonder why this has happened since you replaced the psu?
download and run this and post the results for the motherboard,
click here

annie1206 11:08 11 Jul 2007

its not since i changed the psu, it was doing it before, somebody on here told me to change the psu, doing that cleared up one of the faults, which was the fact that it was taking an absolute age shutting down. it shuts down fine now, i thought the other fault was gone too, but no!!!
i'll try what you've sent though.
am on work pc at present, will you be around later for the results?

[email protected] 11:17 11 Jul 2007

off to the office later but will be around for an hour or so, has the pc always done this? does the clock keep the correct time when switched off? the reason i ask is the bios shouldnt change but the settings rely on a cmos battery and shouldnt change unless this battery is failing.
i built a pc a couple of weeks ago (a relative beginner) and had to change bios settings in depth so a lots is quite fresh in my mind, we need to know which motherboard and bios you have to help further.
adam

annie1206 11:29 11 Jul 2007

ok, thanks for your time, when i get in i'll sort and then repost on here.

Pamy 11:53 11 Jul 2007

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but, why do you not switch it off at the mains switch when you have finished using it for the day?

annie1206 11:57 11 Jul 2007

no just the main switch on the pc, i have been recently though to stop it coming back on!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?