PC Tools firewall warning

ESTER 13:18 13 Apr 2007

Can anyone advise on this please, A pop up warning from PC tools firewall comes up in the bottom right corner asking if I will allow/block something called:- Microsoft Windows Sockets 2.0 Service Provider. It appears randomly, and i think i have allowed this without thinking about what it actually is. Any thoughts appreciated.

chocolate cake 13:34 13 Apr 2007

This might help click here

pennyben 13:44 13 Apr 2007

This is the problem with software Firewalls. I would say a lot of users, especially those new to computing, find these warnings alarmist and confusing. What to do though is the problem, perhaps a hardware FW or router and use windows FW.

mocha 05:02 14 Apr 2007

The problem with Windows firewall is that it doesn't warn you when something on your computer is trying to access the internet. Spyware/Virus's once on your computer will try to connect to the web, that's where a good firewall will notify you.

ESTER 18:54 14 Apr 2007

Many thanks for your responses, I have a router and will install shortly, that should be a laugh.
As you quite rightly say, what to do with the info is an avenue of research for myself.
Sorry for the delay replying, but I couldn't get the message response system to function, probably moir, no doubt. cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?