PC Tools

Unclekev 11:23 22 Nov 2007

I have been monitoring my Task Manager to see what processes were most using the CPU and noticed one: "PC Tools Auxiliary Service" sometimes jumping to over 30% CPU usage. I recently downloaded PC Tools Spyware Doctor (which I find is quite good) and am sure I acquired the PC Tools Auxiliary Service
along with this but was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what this process does and if I end it will it affect the Spyware Doctor. I am just trying to eliminate any unneccessary processes. My OS is Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite P100.

Appreciate any info on this

johndrew 12:01 22 Nov 2007

You could try asking PC Tools themselves click here

Sea Urchin 12:13 22 Nov 2007

In my experience PC Tools are usually quite good at answering emailed enquiries within a reasonable time.

birdface 13:32 22 Nov 2007

Spyware doctor gives you full time protection,I found out it used to slow my computer down,So Set it to scan when I wanted it to scan,Now I also stopped the full time protection.Now someone is going to jump in and say that is not the way to run S/Doctor but I just used it as a back up and would only run it when I though the computer was not running properly.That was when it was only an Anti-Spyware program,I understand it may come with its own anti-virus and firewall programs now. So things may have changed.

Unclekev 15:31 22 Nov 2007

Thanks to all for that bit of info. I'll try emailing PC Tools first and see what they have to say first.

Meshuga 18:43 22 Nov 2007

I once installed spyware doctor and found it slowed my pc up no end. Uninstalled it eventually.

Unclekev 11:39 31 Dec 2007

I got on to PC Tools Support as advised and they explained the function of PC Tools Auxiliary Service. It is part of the Spyware Doctor package and it,s functions can be disabled if necessary. Many thanks for the responses to my query.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?