PC takes longer to start up after house move

Hoseman 12:04 19 Oct 2006

I moved home back in August and since then my PC takes a lot longer to load than it used to. Its very noticeable because whereas before it took around 2 minutes to fully load it now takes between 5-8 minutes to start.

It must be related to the move but I was wondering if there is any way to find out what the problem is and/or how to make it start quicker.

Have you defragmented your pc and error checked the disk?

sean-278262 14:02 19 Oct 2006

Clean the inside of the computer. Remove dust carefully with a vacuum. Ideally you should load windows refreshed after backing up all your files. I find one every 6months helps to keep my PCs running happily. Plus it is easy to do.

Hoseman 10:29 20 Oct 2006

Ive got 2 drives and one of them is too full to defrag so I need to sort something out. Im also looking for a backup solution as its long overdue.

Thanks for advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 20 Oct 2006

click here

scroll down and look at tips 82 -94 to speed up boot.

The best back up solution is another hard drive. internal if you have room / a spare connection or external via a USB port.

terryf 11:30 20 Oct 2006

click here this should be adequate for your backup

terryf 11:35 20 Oct 2006

PS After you have moved files to your backup drive, consider moving all data from C to D, you can even move the OE store folder to D, then do a clean re-install of os and progs, then get Acronis Drive Image and make an image of your clean instal. You will find, as Creature of the Nite and I do, that a restore from the image does wonders. It only tales between 5 and 15 minutes to restore an acronis image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?