Pc takes 3 or 4 times to boot up

BooST 22:22 14 Jul 2005

i have or use to have a reliable pc running windows 98 on a elite K7S5A mother board,30gig hard drive 17'CRT monitor 136 SD ram AMD XP1800 cpu,on board sound and onboard graphics.
Its never failed me untill i decided to upgrade it.
I fitted 256 DDR ram and a 15' TFT screen and since then it takes 3 to 4 attempts to boot up.
When it starts up the disc drive spins but the screen comes up with no signal input.you then turn it off and restart it a couple of times and it will then start up normally.device manager says everything works fine with no conflicts.you can then restart it countless times without problem untill the next day when it starts all over again.i even formatted the hard drive and installed windows xp home edition but still exactly the same problem.
The sd ram was in the black slot and the ddr ram has been put into the blue slot.
THe graphics drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled countless times.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated.

Joe R 22:31 14 Jul 2005

BooST,

you cannot use sdram, and ddr together.

woodchip 22:45 14 Jul 2005

Ether take the DDR out or the SD. I would say take the SD ram out as it is slower

BooST 22:57 14 Jul 2005

Hi,
thanks for your reply so promptly.
Sorry if you have been misled , i took the sd ram out and only using the ddr ram when pc was upgraded and put in the blue slot.no sd ram is being used

woodchip 23:08 14 Jul 2005

Right you now need to try this. As you are running 98 go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter, go to Startup tab you will see list of programs that start when you boot your computer Remove all ticks other than

System Tray

"Scanregistry" cannot just remember how that is put down in the above but you will no which I mean when you see it.

AV

Firewall

They can all be put back if you need any.

Then restart computer

BooST 07:28 15 Jul 2005

i formated the hard drive to try and clear the problem and installed windows xp home edition but i have another computer with windows xp and i no that you can still do wot u sugested so i will give it a try

BooST 11:32 16 Aug 2005

Sorry about delay but work got in the way.
Have some new info for you.
I started looking at the pc problem again and finally got it to load by clicking the on/off button quickly.
Went into start/all programs/start up and found pcreboot so i deleted that and then proceeded to msconfig.
I looked in the start up tab and have currently got INCD which i no is the cd wrinting software but have also got CFTMON and MSMSGS which I dont no what they are or if they should be ticked or not.

Once again any help would be appriciated

woodchip 14:59 16 Aug 2005

cftmon.exe Process Name: Microsoft Windows Operating ...
cftmon.exe is a part of the Microsoft Office suite and handles speech input

If you don't need it remove the tick, you can put it back if you find you need it.

Another may be should not run, msmsgs.exe is the main process relating to the MSN Messenger Internet chat tool

BooST 20:22 01 Sep 2005

More info for you as the saga continues.
Started it up today and CMOS/GPNV checksum bad came up so i went into CMOS setup and the date and time was wrong plus the cpu speed had changed from 133/133 mhz to 100/100 mhz on a amd athlon xp1800 chip.
go into msconfig and on the genral tab its on selective start up with process system.ini file,load system services and use original boot.ini all checked.
Goto start up tab and ctfmon,incd and msmsgs are still unchecked ?

Does anyone out there understand what is going on to help me with this problem.
Please read the whole of the posting to fully understand what im going through with this darn pesky pc

Gongoozler 20:45 01 Sep 2005

Hi BooST. If your memory is in more than one stick, then try just with either one of the sticks on it's own. If you have only one stick, then try to get hold of a different one. Don't use cheap memory only a reputable branded one such as Crucial click here. The reason I say this is that I had to fix a computer recently that was displaying rather similar symptoms to yours, and it was cured by fitting new memory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 01 Sep 2005

"elite K7S5A mother board. CMOS/GPNV checksum bad came up so i went into CMOS setup and the date and time was wrong plus the cpu speed had changed from 133/133 mhz to 100/100 mhz"

Have same board in PC used since 2000 had problems once a month with BIOS resetting to lowest defaults until flashed BIOS now seems stable.

"it takes 3 to 4 attempts to boot up. When it starts up the disc drive spins but the screen comes up with no signal input.you then turn it off and restart it a couple of times and it will then start up normally"

This is probably a defect in memory click here will test it If defective then return it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017