PC swich over what should I do?

golfpro 08:05 10 May 2006

Yesterday I posted a thread regarding the purchase of a new Lap top. I have now had second thoughts and decided to stick with a normal PC, as price for price I would get more bang for the buck, eg 2048 DDR ram, 3.0 GHz and over 250 GB hard drive, plus I don’t really have a need for a lap top
As this is my first computer change, I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable guys, firstly is the Pentium dual core processor worth having, and before I start the switch over from my old PC to the new one and start pulling out wires and cables, is there anything I should do regarding programs etc on my existing PC.
Any tips and info are most welcome.

namtas 08:16 10 May 2006

It all depends on what you use your computer for, I always get the new one up and running alongside the old one and then transfer stuff across, what essenial programmes do you require , you should decide if they will run on your new computer and try them first.

Any personel stuff such as items in word or database content will need transferring. Also you need to look at your email situation, contacts and address's

strech 08:20 10 May 2006

i have pentium 4 duel core and ive goto say
its brilliant

Andsome 08:23 10 May 2006

You take your life in your hands with any of the big computer company's. They will include loads of so called FREE programs, which of course are included in their costings, many which you will find no use for. If you hit problems, you may spend ages waiting for attention on premium rate help lines, and then ages going through diagnostics with the operator. At the end of all this they will probably say the fault lies in a certain component, and that they will post one to you. When you protest that you have an on site warranty, the reply will be that they cannot send someone out for such a simple job.

Visit a small local computer builder at a busy time, say Saturday morning. Mingle with other customers and ask about the reliability of the firm. Visit again during a quiet period, and discuss with the proprietor, exactly what you want the computer for, and take his advice. You will get a reliable computer built within a few days, almost certainly delivered and installed for you. Any problems, just pop in and discuss them with him. I have gone this route twice, and have NOT regretted it. My son in law has taken a month to get a new £1500 Evesham working properly, and has spent a fortune on help line calls.

Regarding programs on your old computer, you should still have the installation C D's. Any programs that you downloaded you have lost, unless you saved them first to a folder, in which case you can burn them to a CD, and install on your new machine. You can of course ghost the whole works across from your old computer to your new one, but the snag with this is that you ghost across all the crap as well. I would prefer a fresh install.

Before disposing of your old machine, ask your self if there is anything on it which you don't want anyone else to have access to. Software is available which will COMPLETELY remove all traces that a format won't.

golfpro 08:31 10 May 2006

I use my computer for all sorts of things Photos, music, net banking, Radio streaming, word documents, lotus organizer, email etc etc. everything except Gaming.
I maybe a bit thick, but just how would I go about transfering data I want to keep from one PC to the other. The only thing I am buying is the PC, keyboard and mouse. it will come with XP home pre instaled.
Is there a web site detailing this information.

Andsome 08:29 11 May 2006

Copy all your photo's to CD. Copy all passwords for banking etc to CD, also all your documents.

johnnyrocker 08:52 11 May 2006

or possibly quicker might be to get an external case, put old hard drive in it, plug into new pc usb port and transfer at will?

johnny.

golfpro 09:34 11 May 2006

Thank you all. I have an external hard drive, so I will copy all that I want into this and then transfer. I don't want to copy the whole HD as a lot of the stuff is rubbish accumulated over the years, so it will be good to have a clear out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?