PC stops loading at devices screen

LEGGGGY 12:17 06 Feb 2005

fresh start !

having had probs with pc was advised to change the wininit. files and to re-install my win me. ive now got the disc but the pc will now not boot up past a screen which lists disc drives at the top and Pci device listing at the bottom. i can not get into safe mode or anything.

any useful ideas as to how this may be resolved b4 going to pc world... thanks

Dorsai 12:29 06 Feb 2005

Do you get any meassage at the bottom of the screen you mention along the lines of:

'missing operationg system'

or

'invalid system disk'

????

FelixTCat 12:51 06 Feb 2005

Take the floppy disk out.

As soon as the computer starts to boot, rapidly press F8 (or is that F5?) as often as possible. The boot options menu should come up so that you can choose safe mode.

LEGGGGY 14:49 06 Feb 2005

no other messages appear on screen ,, y would i take out the floppy disc hardware !!! have tried to go into safe mode but just get a frozen screen.

LEGGGGY 15:20 06 Feb 2005

in safe mode i get the mw screen and when i press enter i get the following message ' windows is bypassing ur start up files ' and then nothing happens...

FelixTCat 16:56 06 Feb 2005

Sorry, what is the mw screen? Did you get the menu offering you Normal, Command Prompt, Safe Mode, Safe Mode Command Prompt Only etc? Did you choose Safe Mode?

LEGGGGY 13:34 13 Feb 2005

found out from my it boff at work that my hard drive required re-formatting! hes done this and reloaded my system with xp and ms full works for nothing took him an hour .. cant be bad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017