PC Startup Issues

AnthonyGregor 00:19 01 Jan 2015

Recently I bought a new graphics card, the GTX 770, as well as an EVGA 750 WATT power supply. After installing both of these in and powering on my PC, everything seemed to be working fine (fans were running, blue power button) but on my monitor it just froze on the HP "press ESC for startup" screen. I could not get any keys to work and when pressing certain buttons I heard beeping sounds.

I left in this new power supply and decided to try out my other graphics card, and when I powered on my PC everything worked like normal.

Could this be a defective card? Any comments are appreciated. :)

rdave13 00:23 01 Jan 2015

my other graphics card ?

rdave13 00:24 01 Jan 2015

Why do I feel like a dentist?

AnthonyGregor 00:25 01 Jan 2015

Should have specified, it's a AMD Radeon HD 6570, which was my old graphics card that I was trying to replace with the 770

rdave13 00:45 01 Jan 2015

AnthonyGregor , please forgive my irony.

Now back to basics. With the AMD card installed physically to the mobo, go to programs and featured and uninstall the AMD Radeon HD 6570 drivers and shut down. Replace with the Nvidia card. Boot up. You should see the Microsoft default video out put?

If so install the drivers from the accompanying CD first.

AnthonyGregor 06:42 02 Jan 2015

I tried uninstalling the drivers from my old AMD graphics card, installing my 770, and it left me with the same problem as before. I couldn't press any key and it was frozen at the same HP logo screen.

rdave13 08:28 02 Jan 2015

As it's showing the HP logo you're getting an output from the Nvidia card but it's locking your system. Put the old card back and install the AMD drivers. The only way to check the card would be to try out on a different PC but not usually practical if you only have one. I'd contact the seller with your problem and explain the steps you have taken to trying to install the card. It could well be defective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?