PC Starts and stops several times

irp 18:27 01 Dec 2006

Please Help.
I have a Evesham Evolution Decimator PC which is 15 months old. My problem is that over the last week when i press the power button the PC flickers into life and immediately shuts down and it does this about 10 times before starting properly. I have e-mailed Evesham Support who have suggested it could be a build up in the power supply, i have done what they have suggested which is to remove all peripherals, remove power cord and press the power button for 15 seconds, this hasn't worked and i am now waiting for them to get back to me(which takes awhile).Can anybody else offer any suggestions as I'm worried that i might be doing more damage if i keep using it like this. My PC is running Windows XP Media centre 2005.
Thanks
Paul

terryf 22:55 01 Dec 2006

If it is the power supply, it is not a huge job to go to a local supplier and buy a replacement. You need to open the case and look at the rating of the psu ie 350W or 400W which will be on a label on the side of the psu. Then take a note of where the cables from the psu go and replace it with your new one. Alternatively get a quote from a local computer company to replace it for you.

irp 18:35 02 Dec 2006

Thanks on the info, never crossed my mind that the PSU could be at fault, i was worried that the hard drive was failing you can see how much i know.If i have a 3 year On-Site Maintenance Warranty with Evesham and i can't see anything that says the power supply is excluded in the Terms&Conditions, Evesham should come out and replace it, shouldn't they?

Sharpamatt 07:18 03 Dec 2006

Yhis could be caused by many different areas, including the PSU have a look at the Motherboard, the small round condensors, if any are domed or leaking also ( and be very careful here) the small square chips if they become very hot, ( and these can burn and as all components on the Motherboard are prone to static )is another sign of failour

With a waranty I would advise touching nothing and get them out, you have paid for it so use it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone