pc starts up no screen?

moggers 17:27 05 Nov 2008

Hi my pc starts up ok the startup screen displays ok (the windows xp screen and the loading bar just underneath the icon) but then the screen goes black and the monitor goes to standby?!? Any suggestions. P.S. I domt have a windows recovery disk is there anywhere i can download one as I understand they are all the same?

moggers 17:39 05 Nov 2008

ok just started in safe mode and all ok, bought this pc off a polish guy and everythings in polish!!! how do i change the language please! And what does it mean if everything is ok in safe mode but wont boot in normal mode? so many questions i know!! Thanks in advance

tullie 18:05 05 Nov 2008

Is it any good checking regional settings,you may be stuck with polish edition though,what was his nam,Mr Sheen?

moggers 18:09 05 Nov 2008

no his name was MUCH more complicated than that!!!

moggers 18:10 05 Nov 2008

Did check the regional settings (translating from another PC) but the language still seems to be in polish is there anything i can d/l?

Technotiger 18:31 05 Nov 2008

Did the keyboard come with the computer - if so, I don't think you can convert that to Englich.

Technotiger 18:34 05 Nov 2008

If it has the Polish version of Windows, you will need to buy an English version. Also if it has a Polish keyboard, you will need to change it for an English keyboard - a number of keys on the Polish keyboard are different.

woodchip 18:44 05 Nov 2008

To get it to boot normal, try go to Start then up to the top for Programs then at the top again for accessories then System Tools five down on my XP laptop then System restore bottom of list on my UK Laptop look for bold dates to restore on the calender a old one may get it back going normal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?