PC Start up problems

Hawk-N-Spit 17:18 29 Mar 2006

When I start my PC it keeps giving me a choice on which operating system I would like to log onto WINDOWS XP Home or Windows (Default) I get about 5 seconds to choose if I dont choose XP Home it uses default however default starts Windows XP setup and keeps going throught the process of an install I have tried using the recovery console with the CHKDSK /R command but everytime the PC starts I get a choice and like I say if I'm not quick enough it goes through the process of a full install its very annoying and sometimes takes me 3 to 4 tries to get on I have a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo PC with the rcovery disk any help would be appreciated thanks!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 29 Mar 2006

Get into Home, Start - run -type msconfig press ok

click on boot.ini tab and click check boot paths click ok and see if it makes any changes or says all paths valid.

Hawk-N-Spit 17:29 29 Mar 2006

I get a message saying it appears that all boot.ini lines for microsoft operating systems are ok can i change this to just start windows xp home? thank for helping

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 29 Mar 2006

You can edit the boot.ini file to read (copy it fist and save as boot.old)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Do not change the partition or drive letters if different for you PC just leave the line as it is

Any other lines apart from what you see above delete and it should then boot to home

Hawk-N-Spit 18:01 29 Mar 2006

Thanks for your help I'm a muppet all I had to do was click set as default and apply thats sorted it. Cheers i would never have thought of using msconfig i've seen the boot.ini file in there and never really took the time to see what it done but cheers my problems solved Thanks!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?