PC Start Up Issues

Silenced 11:47 23 Jul 2008

Hello, I have a issue when i boot up my PC, instead of making just the normal beeping noise it does a different beep and nothing displays on the screen.

Last time this happened it was the graphics card, which I fixed and is now OK, but it's happened again and I have taken the graphics card out and placed it back in but nothing works

I can only best decribe the beeps as one long and two short.

Any help would be much appreciated

hastelloy 11:51 23 Jul 2008
  ambra4 12:28 23 Jul 2008

Reseat the memory chips, if more that one tries then one at a time if only one change the socket to

the other one, if still not working try a difference memory chip 64, 128, 256Mbs, etc of the correct

type and see if the display come up, if it does you have bad memory chips

Size of the memory chip does not matter, as you only want to check the display come up

Silenced 12:42 23 Jul 2008

There is a problem with the memory chips solution, I have no idea what memory chips are and so it makes no sence to me what-so-ever

Ditch999 14:56 23 Jul 2008

"Last time this happened it was the graphics card, which I fixed"
How did you fix it last time?
One long and two short is generally video problems. If this is your 2nd video card in a short space of time then it may be that something is causing them to fail, like a bad power supply or failing motherboard.

woodchip 15:40 23 Jul 2008

Looks like the Graphics card as done its last Dance

Silenced 17:53 23 Jul 2008

Last time I fixed it I just disconnected the graphics card and reconnected it, but now that wont work :'(

Silenced 17:54 23 Jul 2008

Last time I fixed it I just disconnected the graphics card and reconnected it, but now that wont work :'(

Ditch999 19:09 23 Jul 2008

Does sound like your graphics card has gone to the big 3D graveyard in the sky.
If you want to make sure you would need to either try your card in someone elses PC who has the same type, or try someone elses in your PC who has the same type (AGP or PCIe)

Silenced 19:15 23 Jul 2008

If this is the case then why would the fan still work on the card?

woodchip 22:24 23 Jul 2008

As there is lots more on the card than a simple fan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017