pc spontaneously restarts itself

Andoria1 20:10 15 Feb 2007

Hi Everyone.
I bought a new pc from Komplett.co.uk last July. Within a few days it began to restart randomly. Over the intervening months it has been back to Komplett 3 times. They say it never goes wrong when it is with them. When I use it, it will be OK for about 4 days but then it begins to restart all by itself. I bought a surge protector but it made no difference. I have used different monitors, but no difference. I have four 1Gig memory sticks. I have tried just using two of them at a time and swopping them around but to no avail. If I turn the machine off each night the problem seems to go away, but if it's left on continuously the problem manifests after about 4 days. I have an ABIT guru clock and the temp. is not abnormal. Also some programs will crash. Notably Firefox within 1 hour of a clean re-installation of Windows XP Home. Also crashing are, Google Earth, IE7, Sygate Personal Firewall, Mozilla Thunderbird. I'm out of ideas now, except to wonder if it could be the PSU. Could our electricity supply voltage vary and cause the problems? Especially as Komplett are unable to reproduce the fault even though the pc is shipped back to them exactly as we use it here. And further, would that also cause programs to crash?
PC Spec:
Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX 512 MB Graphics Card
ABIT AW8 MAX 3rd EyeII 955X Socket 755 Mainboard
Pentium D 950 3.4 GHz CPU
OCZ Platinum PC2 6400 EL XTC RAM. Four Sitcks.
Seagate Barracuda7200 10 750GB SATA2 HD

VoG II 20:16 15 Feb 2007

Start, Run, type

eventvwr

and click OK.

Are there errors corresponding with when it crashes or restarts?

Andoria1 23:10 15 Feb 2007

Just had a look at event viewer. I'm not familiar with this at all, but I can see there appear to be about 3 or 4 different types of errors reported since I last formatted the HD and re-installed windows. Specifically there are errors under both the applications tab and the system tab. There are a great many instances of errors being logged. What do I do with this info?

JayDay 23:21 15 Feb 2007

I had the very same problem, after lots of head scratching someone suggested it was the PSU, and they were right! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?