PC Spec Proposal - Is it any good?

Shcotty 17:12 10 Sep 2008

Hello,

This is my first foray into self building so I'm wanting feedback on a proposed spec. It's primarily for Home use with definite degrees of multitasking so I don't want it slowing down too much. I'll be Editing on it nothing much at first but might grow into more. There's the chance of some gaming and it must be built to last ie. room for growth. Any and all feedback welcome:

Processor - Core 2 Quad Q9450
Motherboard - Intel MSI S775 P45 DDR3 Audio LAN 1600 FSB (Although not sure about the bundled SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Card)
Graphics - XFX GeForce GTX 260
Sound - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music / 24 Bit PCI
Power - BFG Graphics 800w ATX PSU
RAM - Corsair Memory 4G DDR3 1333MHz 240 PIN DIMM
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200rpm 5300 32 Mb
Case - Coolmaster Silver/Black Cosmos
Opticals - LG Electronics Blue Ray ReWriter/ HD DVD-Rom SATA Black
Opticals - HP DVD 1040i DVD +/- RW/RAM IDE (Or something similar)
Monitor - SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2263UW 22" TFT Screen (5 ms) Or something HD similar as I don't really need speakers.

I'll run Vista Home Premium on it.

Roughly that system spec comes to around 1300 squid. I have 1500-1600 to spend. I don't need surround sound speakers as I already have them from my last set up and likewise with my keyboard and mouse.

So there it is ... will it work? Can it be improved?

Shcottyboo

citadel 17:23 10 Sep 2008

q9450 has been replaced by q9550, apart from that it looks good.

GaT7 18:49 10 Sep 2008

As that's a Crossfire-enabled motherboard it may be better going for an ATI card - e.g. a HD 4870. This has similar performance to the GTX260, but at lower price & you have the choice of adding another one in the future.

Apart from that it looks very good, with some expensive high-end components in there. The only thing I can think of improving at the moment is the monitor. Get a 24" PVA panel - something like a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP for instance.

Motherboard looks like a MSI P45 Diamond. The X-Fi Extreme Card should be much better than onboard sound.

Where are you buying all the above btw? G

Shcotty 19:38 10 Sep 2008

Thanks for the comments thus far. I'll look into the Dell Monitor.

My mate and I put this initial spec together using dabs.com but I'll check the pricing of it all across the net once I finalise it all. No probs if you want to know where I get everything when I do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?