PC sound problems

powely 19:23 12 Apr 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm having problems with my sound card/ drivers? I think? And I would really appricate some advice.

I cannot get any sound at all, and when I go to Sound and Audio devices in Control panel it states that their is No Audio Device. I looked at my Device Manager and it says there are Legacy Audio Drivers and Codecs installed? My Computer is a HP Pavillion zv5014ea laptop and I've checked with the HP website and it says the drivers should be SoundMAX, which I've attempted in install but it comes up with an installation error and say to restart the computer and try installation again.

I'm a novice at fixing problems, so a step by step guide to finding a solution this problem would be hugely appricated.

Cheers guys.

Al

GaT7 21:40 12 Apr 2008

Step-by-step instructions here click here. Make sure to choose the one for your OS.

If it's Win 2K/XP, these are the drivers to download if you require them click here. G

GaT7 21:41 12 Apr 2008

Sorry, the 2nd link again click here. G

powely 14:06 13 Apr 2008

Hi cheers for the links - which I've followed and updated the drivers - however nothing seems to have changed (apart from the computer finding new hardware upon restart), I still do not have any sound and the Sound and Audio devices in Control panel still states that their is No Audio Device? Could you possibly point me in the direction of the next step?

Cheers

Al

eedcam 14:23 13 Apr 2008

Have you by any chance just done any windows updates not unknown for them to stuff the audio device . if you have try arestore to before them see if that fixes . You can always jump back to to day

powely 08:43 16 Apr 2008

I've tried restoring, the computer has never had any sound since we bought it second hand though. The computer is also updated regulary so I don't think it is that - I'm at a total loss to what it could be. Any ideas greatly appricated.

Cheers,

Al

Jim_F 09:31 16 Apr 2008

It could be a hardware problem but it is possible that a failed install has mugged Windows into loading drivers which are wrong for the device.

First uninstall the drivers (again !)

Look in the \Windows\inf directory - you may have to set your file options to view all including system files and folders.

Look for any OEM.inf files OEM1, OEM2 etc and open these in notepad. Delete any that mention sound drivers. This will take out any install paths for OEM drivers.

Then I'd run cccleaner click here
which will clean out redundant driver references in the registry (it will back this up for you first).

Disconnect from the internet and disable any anti-virus packages.

Now load the drivers - it may just work.

snowymalone 16:48 25 Apr 2008

Hi, first time poster here.

Following a chip burn-out (fan packed up and took the chips with it) I had to replace the motherboard on my HP Pavilion 808.uk and boosted the ram to 750 mb while I was at it. It took a while to find the NIC card and the TV tuner card, graphics drivers etc, but eventually it got there.

Problem is, the sound card - it didn't detect it at all initially, until it was enabled in BIOS, and then it started demanding a Realtek AC'97 driver. I d/l'd the most recent one from the realtek site, ran setup, and got the "This isn't signed off for WinXP" (or whatever) message. I ignored the warning, carried on installing, it was copying files to temp... then it crashed windows completely, shutting down the HD. On rebooting, I got the Error reporting box, did so, got the message back saying they didn't have a fix themselves but to look on the Realtek site for a solution (thanks, Mr Gates, you're a real help.)

Tried again, as on restart the wizard detected the card as new hardware, and the same thing happened straight away. Any ideas, anyone? Are there any generic drivers I could use instead? All help gratefully received (what with 4 gigs of MP3s on here and no way of playing them directly :(.)

Technotiger 17:05 25 Apr 2008

Hi, I appreciate you are a first-time poster here, Welcome to the best Forum on the net - However, you have hijacked another members Thread, please start your own thread and I am sure your question will be dealt with.

You see if anyone answers your question in this thread, then the original Poster (powerly) will get emails meant for you - it does cause confusion.

Please download the Forum Rules - top right of the page.

Good luck with your problem.

snowymalone 17:09 25 Apr 2008

Sorry! Didn't realise.

I'll start a new thread as suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?