PC slowing down

  manrow 22:33 17 Feb 2008
Locked

I notice that if my computer is on for long periods that it's operations slow down. After a restart things improve.

Can anyone explain why?

  RobCharles1981 22:41 17 Feb 2008

A good start would be to use the "Search Forum" box at the top of this page its been answered on many occasions.

Have you done any house keeping?

What Antispyware, Firewall and Antivirus do you have and have you defraged your computer recently?

  skidzy 22:44 17 Feb 2008

System specs please ?

  manrow 08:03 18 Feb 2008

Windows XP Firewall
AVG Antivirus
Microsoft Windows Defender

System Spec:-

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 1015 MB
CPU Info: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz
CPU Speed: 468.3 MHz
Sound card: Conexant HD Audio output
Display Adapters: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family | Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 800 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: PHILIPS DVD+-RW SDVD8820
COM Ports: COM3
LPT Ports:
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 69.2GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 30.7GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies LTD
Product Make: Calistoga & ICH7M Chipset
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 12/22/06 | DSGLTD - 6040000
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Battery: High
Motherboard: DIXONSXP MPAD-MSAE Customer Reference Boards
Modem: HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Motorola USB Modem #2

:
:

  birdface 09:04 18 Feb 2008

Make sure the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning.When it is running slower check Task Manager to see if there are any programs running that should not be.System Idle process should be showing about 97% under CPU, This is normal and all the rest about 3% between them.I get the same sort of problem ,when my computer slows down I try and run my speed test and it has usually dropped from about 1800 Mbps to about 300Mbps.If I switch the Modem off for a minute then back on and leave for 2 minutes it works Ok for a while.I have been trying to get a new Modem from Virgin but they insist it is not the Modem that is at fault.

  birdface 09:07 18 Feb 2008

Hi.Got this from *raven* about a fortnight ago and opening pages is now twice as quick,Might be worth a try.Optimizer.click here

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 18 Feb 2008

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here


Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

  manrow 20:34 18 Feb 2008

I appreciate your efforts Fruit Bat, although most are already in operation!

As a matter of interest would a new computer cure these problems?

I suspect the answer will be NO!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?