pc slower after Norton 2005

henry1 11:04 28 Jan 2006

Hi, I am running a P3 667 10gig drive with windows xp and on the internet with aol 9. My Norton subscription expired and I got the 2005 Norton internet instead. I seem to have had a lot of problems since. I have used aol help and run their computer check, no problems. Defrag hard drive, full virus scan with norton, all ok and run ad aware no big probs. After advice here I installed windows cleaner, gets rid of everything and back to normal for about 2 or 3 days then when surfing it all slows down, hard drive starts chattering and in the end I switch off run cleaner and start again. cleaner only removes about 10mb on average, not a lot.
1. is my computer too old for aol 9
2. is aol conflicting with norton
3. do I have some undetected virus
4. is my hard drive starting to fail
5. anything else that may cause this you can think of. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 28 Jan 2006

No this is just Norton.

A notorious resource hog.

There is software that will do a better job without slowing your PC and will cost nothing.

Diemmess 11:15 28 Jan 2006

1) No
2) Possibly but don't blame Aol
3) No
4) Not very likely
5) Very small HD for XP and the rest. Possible that RAM is low too. When the HD appears to chatter it is likely that it is seeking temporary filespace and having to search hard.

So many posts suggest that Norton is not a good idea.
Still personally speaking, I would swallow hard and clear Norton completely.
I trust freebies AVG and Zone alarm for protection, with Spybot and AdAware run occasionally to be sure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?