PC slowed to a crawl

mikeyb59 16:43 03 Feb 2004

Hi. Noticed this afternoon that my pc was crawling!

Upon investigation I found that somehow my primary & secondary drives had changed places. By that I mean that the BIOS was showing my DVD & CD drives as primary and my two HDD's as secondary.

BIOS is set to auto detect so I am stumped! Is there a fix for this or can I just swop the cables on the mobo?

System is- Jetway 266b, XP2400+, 512Mb DDR mem & XP Pro.

Had no other faults today to suggest any problems.

TIA

Diemmess 17:11 03 Feb 2004

I don't see why you shouldn't try swapping data cables, but that is just blind poking, and there has to be a logical reason. Computers may be "spiteful" but they are above all - logical.

Put my spoke in because I want to see what really is the reason and I can only waffle - sorry!

Chegs ® 17:26 03 Feb 2004

Perfect timing...

as yesterday,I setup my system as RAID,rebooted and C: hdd was now D: and XP(as it loves being in the "hotseat")chucked its toys out the pram,and a BSOD appeared.Checked BIOS,no changes,rebooted again and all was as before.

Reckon we should just pin blame on M$ for not allowing us into the OS's "oily bits". ;-)

mikeyb59 17:35 03 Feb 2004

Thanks for that. Will try swopping cables.

Watch this space!!!

mikeyb59 18:12 03 Feb 2004

Have swopped the cables and cured the fault (for the time being)!

Still can't figure out what caused this as I have changed nothing for weeks.

Will leave this thread open for now as expect it to swap back later!

mikeyb59 15:20 04 Feb 2004

Strange - IDE0 & IDE1 remain swopped. No repeat so I guess it will remain that way for the time being!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?