PC Slow connection speed, also MOBO problems.

survy227 11:27 30 May 2016

Hello there. I've had my PC for around 8 months now, and fairly recently, the connection speed has started to absolutely tank.

I can think of several reasons for this, but really need some help.

1. We recently got a new router delivered to us, because our old router was faulty, and this could be the cause of the slow connection, but I don't think so. (I'll explain why later.)
  2. My USB wireless dongle might just be messed up, but I also don't think so.
  3. My motherboard is old as hell, and is probably failing. (I think this is the culprit.)

So, the reason why I don't think that the problem is with router, is because essentially every other device on the network is absolutely fine. They have no problems connecting whatsoever, and their speeds are fine. The wireless dongle is quite new, and from a brand that I trust, so I don't believe that's the problem. I've considered connecting an ethernet cable and plugging directly into the router, and will probably try this to see if it makes it better, but I sort of doubt it will. A strange problem though, is that after disconnecting from the router, the computer sometimes has trouble finding it again. It still can find other networks, ones which I can't use, but not mine specifically, so maybe it is a problem with the router.

Okay. The motherboard. This thing is ancient. I've got DDR2 RAM installed, which should be an indication of how old it is. I feel like this might be the cause of all of my PC problems, of which there are a few.

1. The aforementioned problem with internet speeds.
  2. Sometimes, every couple of boots or so, the speed of the entire computer just completely tanks. There's choppy audio when running several programs at once, any games have massively reduced framerate, and programs are just generally more unresponsive. When I disabled the graphics card in device manager, the latency in general computing went way down. Sometimes the system will slow down like this out of nowhere. When this happens, the screen will go black, and it'll say that the nVidia drivers have crashed, and then the screen will come back on, but with my computer in shit mode, with everything slow.
  3. My computer bluescreens pretty frequently. I know they're not supposed to, but mine does. The usual error message is KERNELDATAINPAGEERROR, which, when I looked it up, appeared to have something to do with an inability to read/write to certain sections of RAM. On other occasions, it has crashed with CRITICALPROCESS_FAILURE or something to that effect. I feel like this is because of the motherboard.

Now, the most obvious suggestion here would be "Replace your motherboard." But, I don't have any sort of income, and this desktop was secondhand to begin with, so I can't do that. Something that I had considered would be to reseat my graphics card and that stuff, but I haven't tried it yet because I don't want to screw anything up. Sorry for the massive text dump, but I wanted to give as much information as possible before posting. Hoping you can give me some advice. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:30 30 May 2016

What op system are you running?

survy227 11:42 30 May 2016

Windows.

survy227 11:42 30 May 2016

Whoops. Windows 8.1.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 30 May 2016
  survy227 14:58 30 May 2016

Unfortunately, I really don't think that this is a problem that reinstalling windows will fix. Thank you anyway.

survy227 15:08 30 May 2016

Unfortunately, I really don't think that this is a problem that reinstalling windows will fix. Thank you anyway.

survy227 15:08 30 May 2016

howard64 15:10 30 May 2016

if your pc is updated then go to windows 10 it is much faster than 8.1 and could solve a lot of other problems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 30 May 2016

If its not missing or corrupt windows system files then do a memory check as both error messages point to ram problems.

wireless slow will not be motherboard as you are using a dongle.

survy227 04:41 02 Jun 2016

Alright, well I've discovered that the internet speed problem can be solved by using an ethernet cable, but this isn't a permanent fix because I can't keep it plugged it, because it's a tripping hazard. My connection speed was fine with my last router, is it possible this one is just much less reliable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?