PC shutting down for no apparent reason

Skinn 20:44 16 Apr 2007

The automatic stand-by function seems to be working correctly on my PC but it shuts down automatically for no apparent reason periodically and won't start up again. The power supply has to be turned off several times to get it to start up again from fully shut-down not stand-by mode.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

ArrGee 21:50 16 Apr 2007

This might sound like a daft suggestion, but have you opened up the PC and given it a good dust-out recently?

mocha 22:01 16 Apr 2007

Follow ArrGee's advice and whilst you've got the lid off check that all the fans CPU and System are working. If a computer auto shuts down and then doesn't turn on again straight away, then it's usually down to overheating.

spras 22:22 16 Apr 2007

It's happening probably because of Overheating, for which they've given you the solutions for. Just get a brush and get all the dust out of the fans and any grates in your case. If it's still doing your next best bet is replacing the Power Supply Unit.

Skinn 09:50 17 Apr 2007

I've just vacuumed all openings on the rear of the CPU to ensure that dust is not causing it to overheat. Under the Events Viewer at around the time this last occurred it states 'TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts'. Would this mean that it has a virus?

Kate B 10:07 17 Apr 2007

Have you run scans? That does sound suspicious.

wee eddie 10:16 17 Apr 2007

I'm with speerross on this and it costs almost nothing.

With a (hair) paintbrush,1/2" is probably best, and a blast of air, you can buy a can but a woman's hair dryer is just as good, you can clear the fins on your CPU and it's fan.

Skinn 15:44 09 Jun 2007

PC has started doing this again, only when not in use. It's as if it has gone into stand-by mode but when the CPU button is depressed nothing happens. After several attempts it will work- should i just replace the PSU or could it be something else?

wee eddie 16:12 09 Jun 2007

I noticed that you said that you had Hovered the outside.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 09 Jun 2007

Overheat is the first suspect, clean throughly all grills and het sinks fan blades and check fans are running ok.

PSU starting to fail is also a strong possibility have you got another you could try.

woodchip 20:03 09 Jun 2007

Faulty PSU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?