pc shutting down...is hard drive full the cause

jay.p 14:54 01 Jun 2007

my boys pc keeps shutting down,i.e no power.
they have a 20 gb hard drive wich is full of games. the last game they installed was 3.8gb and this has left only 85mb of free space.since this installation the pc powers of very frequently sometimes after 5 mins.does the hard drive need a certain amount of free space to function and is this the cause of the crashes?

bremner 15:01 01 Jun 2007

Yes the hard drive does need space for the virtual memory - normally it is recommended that there be at least 10% of the disk space free.

However when there is insufficient memory you normally get a warning saying so and all that happens is the machine locks up.

The fact that it is switching off completely may mean another problem.

It could be a heat issue. Have you checked all the fans are working and clear of gunk?

It could be that the power supply unit is on the way out.

It could be a defective hard drive - try and run the HDD manufacturers diagnostic application.

jay.p 15:03 01 Jun 2007

all cleaned out and clear of dust. sometimes does it straight away so prob not a heat issue. i have a spare power pack so will give that a try and post back .
thanks.

jay.p 16:32 02 Jun 2007

changed psu to no avail.
noticed it only turns off when playing games,doom 3, tombraider anniversary,grand theft auto san andreas, but not whilst watching dvd films.
could it be
duff graphics card or driver
duff memory pc 3200 512mb and 256mb as a game would put more stress on each component
or cpu again more stress playing games.
any opinions please.
radeon 9600xt 256mb
memory as above
cpu athlon 2000+

Ex plorer 17:00 02 Jun 2007

Hi have you got a power surge-unit to connect to the PC before it plugs into the mains.
If you want to check your CPU Temp etc.
click here
and get the free Everest Home Edition this can also show you the and mobo temperatures.
No expert at the correct temps but some one her will guide you.

jay.p 19:30 02 Jun 2007

took out 256mb memory stick from slot 2 and left the 512 in slot 1... pc would not even boot to post.
moved 512 to slot 2 and pc booted up faster than usual.then added the 256mb to slot 3 and pc booted fine.
then pc turned itself off after 15 mins of playing a game,strange as i thought slot 1 was the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone