PC shuts down when I am playing a game

Hi I have been using my PC for about two months now and it has been working fine but recently everytime I play a game it will shut down after a couple of minutes, the lights on the tower like the power button light is still on and the fans are working but there is no sound or picture. I think that it might be the PSU or my computer is overheating but I am not sure which one. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

wee eddie 17:40 02 May 2016

Was it new when you got it?

wee eddie 12:45 03 May 2016

Thanks for the email but it's better to reply on the Forum. Then everyone knows your answer.

The PC was about 2 years old when I got it.

I think that the first thing you have to think about is whether there has been a build up of dust inside which will be clogging the cooling system.

There are numerous threads about cleaning the inside of a PC and it's really simple, once you've got the case open. But remember ~ Don't stick anything into the Power Supply, even when the PC's turned off and unplugged, the Condensers can give you a very considerable shock. The second thing is to take it into the open air before you start blowing anything, or you will make a serious mess and you will not be popular with whoever cleans the house.

I managed to buy a new PSU but that did not help but I did manage to fix it, but I tried a couple of things before I started playing another game so I am not sure what fixed it but thanks for the replies.

monim12 20:53 03 May 2016

I also think it's an issue of overheating. Maybe you should change the place where you are currently putting your CPU. See if the problem still persist.

lotvic 21:28 03 May 2016

IMHO 'twould be best if monim12 put brain in gear before posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?