PC shut down under load

3300bhp 20:33 08 Feb 2011

Hi there,

I am not certain if it is a heat problem but when playing demanding games my PC will every now and again shut down and restart.

I have a i7 950 overclocked to 4ghz per core and 2 GTX 470 in sli

The maximum temp I have had on the cores is 73 degrees c and on the cards 93 degrees c. What would be a safe running temp for an i7 and is 73 degrees too hot? The system is liquid cooled

GaT7 22:27 08 Feb 2011

If you ask me 73° isn't too bad, but let's see if we can bring it down a little. If you have over-volted the CPU, try lowering the voltage just a touch. It might still be stable on a slightly lower voltage, & the good side-effect is usually lower temps.

It wouldn't hurt to keep the GPUs a little cooler too, so adjust their fans so they kick in sooner &/or spin faster. You may get a little more noise, but at least they may not shut down as often. G

woodchip 22:43 08 Feb 2011

I was reading other day that Intel i7 had stopped shipping due i presume to be a fault in the chip

I think its bottom left of page click here for i5 and i7

also click here

Check this out about overclocking click here There is lots more on Google

GaT7 22:50 08 Feb 2011

Only the latest Sandy Bridge CPUs are affected woodchip - nothing to do with the older gen i7s like 3300bhp is using.

He also seems to have a problem only when 'playing demanding games'. The guy in the link has far more serious problems & he can no longer boot. G

3300bhp 07:12 09 Feb 2011

I didn't overclock the PC - I bought it already overclocked, I am a novice when it comes to voltages and fan speeds. I hear the cooling fans speed up and then the PC restarts, it I am quick enough I can stop the game on pause and it won't shut down - is there a thread or website I can look at to try and tweak the PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)