PC service and repair programmes..................

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:28 10 Jan 2004

My nephew, who is very competent at repairing computers, wants to create a CD of programmes that he can lug around to help him repair or service home computers, at their owner's houses (better not to encourage network trouble-shooting yet;-)) ).

So could we get the PCA hive mind concentrated on posting up any programmes that will help him? Preferably freeware but chuck in the pay-up versions and I'll cough up the wonga as a pressie for him. I've suggested Winzip (quite a few people do not have this and it is handy for running any zipped progs on his CD), RegSeeker and Aida32 as starters.

G

powerless 19:34 10 Jan 2004
  leo49 19:40 10 Jan 2004

I always take a set of Partition Magic & Drive Image floppies with me - come in very handy.

spikeychris 19:43 10 Jan 2004

If you want to get your purse out you couldn't get a better diag than click here

Modem Dr is free and superb. click here

astec123 20:46 10 Jan 2004

Belarc advisor excellent for findin out whats installed hard and software.pos the best thing I have ever downloaded and free too.helped a friend find out they bought a pc and the manufacturer bundled a smaller rem dan was expected.click here

Big Elf 21:05 10 Jan 2004

How about the standards like:

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

HiJack This click here

CoolWebShredder click here

SiSoft Sandra click here

Grisoft AVG Free edition click here

and the various boot disks from click here

Big Elf 21:06 10 Jan 2004

P.S. A list of what he eventually uses would be interesting.

vinnyo123 21:22 10 Jan 2004

if client's PC is up I also use a simple ftp server program at home to download all the programs to client .....etc..spyware,the shredders,trojan finders etc..also use the free scans on net...

GibsonSt19 21:34 10 Jan 2004

click here for Dr TCP (useful for optimising BBand connections)and click here for a little help with that.

Ooops, sorry, memory loss, I'll post the others later :|

Belatucadrus 01:03 11 Jan 2004

click here G-Lock Temp Cleaner

click here ZipCentral.

click here ZDU drive diagnostic tool

click here ScripTrap

click here MBprobe, motherboard & CPU monitor

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:10 11 Jan 2004

Brilliant replies and I've chosen about 50mbs of progs that will be useful to him. I've bought him a 64Mb memory watch, for 30 squid from Comet, which will hold everything that he needs. The ideas from the FE are excellent for when he starts a proper service which will encompass businesses but that will bne after he has been to Uni and got some experience of working.....hopefully.
G

feel free to keep posting though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?