PC seft booting up

superfluke 17:45 01 Oct 2007

My second bog standard PC, about 5 years old, 40Gb hard drive, 512 RAM, running XP home edtion with no internet connection and is now just used by my grandchildren playing games on it
Just recently it's started switching itself on in the early hours each morning. I've tried the obvious things like disabling auto-updates but made no difference, so I womdered if anyone else has had a similar problem and could offer some curative advice. The only solution I've found so far is to disconnect the power supply after use.

FreeCell 18:30 01 Oct 2007

Assuming the PC is not connected to any modem then I would suspect a faulty power supply. Tried switching off PC at power supply switch but leaving plug connected to mains?

Modem or lan wake-up options can switch PC on but I assume the PC is stand alone. To be sure switch these off in your BIOS settings.

Ashrich 18:41 01 Oct 2007

You might be having minor power outages at night , the PC is probably set in the bios to restart after losing power , try turning that off as well ( power options or suchlike )

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?