pc security

MJS WARLORD 08:26 11 Sep 2013

can somebody please explain why windows updates releases security patches for individual software such as a security flaw in say word or netframe work that runs in the background. i ask this because i would have thought that once your anti virus and firewall had been breached , a virus would attack anything it could.

example :- i once logged onto guildwars and was greeted by messages in the chat saying ...... odd things happening on screen , pc keeps shutting down. before i could reach for my mouse my pc shut down and on restart i could do nothing . i had to do a factory reset !

MJS WARLORD 10:04 11 Sep 2013

46 views of this posting so far , have i asked a dumb question ?

onthelimit1 10:09 11 Sep 2013

Perhaps no one yet knows the answer?!

MJS WARLORD 17:05 13 Sep 2013

this web site is brilliant 212 lookers and no answers

rdave13 17:43 13 Sep 2013

Microsoft patches/updates its own software to be as secure as possible. Your Firewall and AV also update to do the same. It all adds up to try and get a secure system. If you allow a virus/malware to enter your system then no security software on earth will stop it. The whole point of continuing security updates it to help prevent inadvertently downloaded bad scripts/ malware to your system. If you think that the updates are not worth downloading then simply block them. Just rely on your security system. I know a few who disable the windows update and rely on a security suit but then they don't play games and use common sense to safe browsing. The thing is people use their PCs in different ways. Some use it for business, some just for casual browsing, some don't know what they're doing, and the most savvy go to risqué sites for their own personal reasons. So Microsoft has to try to cater for all and does its best.

That's my thinking on it anyway.

wiz-king 18:00 13 Sep 2013

Simples, you might be running Word or Excel on an Apple or Linux machine ie not on a MS system.

MJS WARLORD 18:31 13 Sep 2013

RDAVE13 ...... thanks for taking the time to give me a very long answer

MJS WARLORD 18:32 13 Sep 2013

RDAVE13 ...... thanks for taking the time to give me a very long answer

rdave13 18:50 13 Sep 2013

KEITH ON 64 BIT , no problem. Was my 'very long answer' helpful?

MJS WARLORD 19:01 13 Sep 2013

yes it was helpful thanks dave

MJS WARLORD 19:01 13 Sep 2013

yes it was helpful thanks dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer