PC security

baldyx 13:51 15 Jan 2009

My McAfee Security centre keeps telling me that my computer is not protected despite having run its Scan successfully,i.e., no infections detected! Also the centre keeps asks me to verify the subscription which I have done so successfully.
I also have ran AdAware,SuperAntispyware etc .
And yet McAfee center keeps telling me that my pc is not protected.!!

Please any suggestions as to why this is happening.

I always have answers from this Forum and not from the softawre suppliers!

MAT ALAN 13:59 15 Jan 2009

Do you have any other A/V software on your PC (software conflict)

you could try uninstall/reinstalling the product

click here

there is some info here but not knowing what you have tried we may be going over old ground...

Terry Brown 14:13 15 Jan 2009

1--It could be a false positive, where the virus has been removed,but the signature is still there.

2--The Virus/trogan (If it exists)could be in your system restore, if so the only way to remove it, is to turn of the system restore, re-run the virus checker, then re-activate your restore settings.

3--You have tried other virus/trogan programs, could one of them be the cause, McAfee registering it as malware.

Try the program A2free click here as this will normaally find any traces of malware. This program only runs when you tell it to, so it is not suitable a replacement anti-virus program.

4--If you have an original operating CD, put the CD in the drive, let it start then click exit.
goto RUN and enter (without speech marks) 'sfc /scannow'. Note the space between sfc and /.

5-- Contact McAfee.
Terry

baldyx 17:25 15 Jan 2009

This problem started yesterday. I have other antivirus programs (Lavasoft AD-Aware, Advance System Care, SUPERAntiSpyware) , for a long time now , together with McAfee Security centre on my pc and I run them manually frequently without any conflicts.

When I boot up the pc ten minutes ago , the McAfee software says my pc is PROTECTED. But while typing this response ten mins later the McAfee message came up saying my pc is NOT PROTECTED!!

Terry Brown - when I try to download A2free, McAfee warns me that the web site for A2Free may contain adware,malware or unwanted program. So I am a little bit concerned about downloading it.

MAT ALAN 17:32 15 Jan 2009

Are the date and time set correctly on your PC...

baldyx 17:39 15 Jan 2009

Yes the time &date are set correct.

MAT ALAN 17:41 15 Jan 2009

click here
sorry if this is going over old groung but it may help...

baldyx 18:26 15 Jan 2009

MAT ALAN- I have contacted McAfee support and they advised me to uninstall & reinstall the McAfee software because I have more than one versions of McAfee softwares on my pc ,that's why the message verify your subscription keeps displayed on the McAfee security centre screen. Before I do that I will try to look into your suggestions as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?