PC running very slow

Wayne690 08:45 03 Dec 2004

My PC has suddenly started running very slow for some reason. I have Windows 98 and 5Gb HD space, 3GB free. I have Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic and the latest AVG anti-virus software loaded and all say my PC is clean. I did a HD defrag too.
When i open a program it takes about 30 seconds to respond before opening, opening Internet explorer is even longer! Double clicking anything takes a good few seconds to get any response. It's as if there's something running in the background taking up all memory?
Help.

PA28 08:58 03 Dec 2004

Possibly. CTRL-ALT-DEL will bring up the programs that are running in the background - the absolute minimum is Explorer and Systray, though I wouldn't suggest that you disable the rest except for testing, there may be something there you can see and terminate. Run system file checker (Start>Run>(type)SFC) to ensure that your system files are OK (you will need your 98 CD to restore any that are damaged or corrupted). Disable any unwanted processes by (Start>Run>(type)Msconfig) unchecking the item under startup tab and then adopting selective startup. Any events leading up to this (new software) or is this a gradual process of clugging up?

Jackcoms 12:04 03 Dec 2004

Download and install click here
The best free registry and crap cleaner available and regularly recommended in this Forum.

You can safely delete anything that it finds.

Buchan 35 20:34 03 Dec 2004

Disc Clean, Defrag. And Jackcoms idea seem good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires