pc running too slow

DRFUMMEL77 18:10 25 Mar 2003

I wonder if anyone can help?I am running windows xp on a new computer,and just recently the whole system has slowed down to a snails pace.The strange thing about it,is that once my broadband connection kicks in,the rest of the pc runs at normal speed.I have tried defragmenting the hard disk,also tried system restore a number of times,but nothing works.I have started to wonder if maybe a virus has managed to get through somehow,as my cursor arrow has started moving upwards all on its own,although this seems unlikely as i have a full Norton anti-virus software package installed.Please can you help!

professor 19:22 25 Mar 2003

have you actually noticed how many winxp problems this forum has? i dont think you have a virus but i think winxp has gone wrong AGAIN and you can either to a fresh install of everything or get a better OS win98se for example,in fact i will only use 98se it may not be as "secure" in its "stand alone" state but install a good virus detector along with any patches and its better than xp anyday

prof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?