PC Running Slow and 45 mins to Reboot

Ben capewell 18:03 13 Aug 2006

After searching through the forums, finding people with similar problems, i fount alot of usefull advice. My pc now seems to have loads of down loaded software to wich i have tried to fix my problem, Spy Bot, Jv16 powertools,Freshdiagnose, Regsupreme, Removeit pro XT2 etc, most sites i have fount wich list all my errors and tells me my system is only running at 1% effective, but then requires some kind of payment. Avg finds no Viruses, but one of the programs did find 8 trojan's, but it wanted a payment. ive then run spybot wich fount some errors and fixed them.
Pc still running slow a reboot takes about 45 mins ive checked all start up programs etc, cleaned reg, defrag.
any body know of a free system checker, AND Repair.
Please Help, before ot goes through the window.
My System.
Windows Xp SP2
512 ram pentium 3 hard disk 14G half full

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:10 13 Aug 2006

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

chrisjohn 18:15 13 Aug 2006

/\0/\ does this usualy work

Ben capewell 18:18 13 Aug 2006

Over the last week i have been, going through all your responses, to other people with similar problem's (thats where all my other scans have come from) . Your name is all over this site.
Ive tried doing Sfc but it keeps saying missing dll files please insert windows disk wich i dont have, it prompts to ignore but there is to many of them.
Hard disk always seems busy, Ive got 21 running procces, is this normal, CPU is not over worked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:32 13 Aug 2006

21 running process is quite low, I have 46 at present, but don't worry about it.

"please insert windows disk wich i dont have"

look for a folder on your hard drive called i386 my link click here explains how to point sfc to use the folder if it is there. You may also have this folder on a restore CD, if so you could copy it to the hard drive.

if you have been searching the site you have probably already seen my postings on Slow PC Pt1 and Pt2.

Ben capewell 19:35 13 Aug 2006

I will give it a try, and let you know.
PS You should be running your own Help site !!

Ben capewell 22:29 29 Sep 2006

I TRIED ALL SORTS AND IN THE END I THINK IT WAS A FAULTY HARD DISK, HOPE YOU DONT HAVE MY PROBLEMS, THANKS PCA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017