pc running slow

camilla11 16:21 24 Feb 2008

My computer is running slow, I am running up-to-date Norton anti-virus and Firewall. Downloaded and run Windows Defender, SpyBot, cCleaner, I have cleaned the registry (not before performing a registry backup). My next step, I think, should possibly be Hijack This but suggests on there that I should first check for trojans. Have any of the above already done that? Please help.

RobCharles1981 16:25 24 Feb 2008

How many services and processes do you have running in the background?? Assuming its xp your on hit Alt Gr and Ctrl and Home all together.

provider 2 16:39 24 Feb 2008

Check Task Manager to see how much processing power Norton is using up, or if any other program is hogging resources.

Done any defragging recently?

camilla11 16:47 24 Feb 2008

Hi RobTheOrganGuru, when I hit AltGr+Ctrl+Home nothing happens.

Joe R 16:58 24 Feb 2008

camilla11,

to open task manager hit control, alt and delete.

camilla11 17:02 24 Feb 2008

Hi provider2, I have checked the Task Manager but I'm not able to pick out Norton from the processes list (which is,of course, ever changing)
I can tell you that CPU usage doesn't go above 21% and PF usage is 449MB. I hope it making sense.

Joe R 17:06 24 Feb 2008

camilla11,

click on start-run, and type in "msconfig" (without the commas). click on selective startup, and untick everything apart from anti-virus and firewall, click apply and then reboot.

If this doesn't work, it may be a good idea, to check your hard drive, to see how much free space it has.

provider 2 17:08 24 Feb 2008

System Idle at the bottom of the list should be reading 95 - 98% . I take yours isn`t?

I don`t like the sound of "ever changing" though.

Scroll down and check again that something isn`t using much more cpu power than it should.

provider 2 17:10 24 Feb 2008

Apologies. Must go now. I`ll leave you in Joe R`s capable hands.

recap 17:20 24 Feb 2008

I would be surprised if it is a Trojan as your CPU usage doesnt go over 21%. Norton may be the culprit as it does use up resources. When in Task Manager if you click on the 'Image Name' title bar this will put the list in alphabetical order, which may enable you to see what Norton is doing.

camilla11 18:24 24 Feb 2008

Hi recap, under the Processes tab, the System Idle Process the CPU varies between 79 and 95% changing every second. Hope this helps.Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?