PC RESTARTS BEFORE ITS EVEN ON DESK TOP

Gapper 22:53 23 Aug 2006

HI I BUILT my own pc not so long ago and ever since i fisrt turned it on ive hat to press enter
after it said booting from disk , dist boot failiure insert system disk and pres enter

and i took the side panel off to clean the dust off i put it back together and now when i turned it back on it will get to the press enter bit but then restarts then i here a beep and all the lights on my keybord light up

i was told by a friend that i had a hard drive hardwere failier so i bought a new hard drive
and tried re installin windows the light comes on the drive but keep doing what it was doin before

woodchip 23:08 23 Aug 2006

Disk Boot failiure could be you have not created the the Hard Drive Partition right, or it could be damaged hard drive

Gapper 23:09 23 Aug 2006

but its the same with both new and old

Gapper 23:10 23 Aug 2006

sorry im only 14 whats Partition

woodchip 23:15 23 Aug 2006

Partition is where the hard drive info is stored. Master Boot Record or for short MBR. Did you use a XP CD to load the Operating System as this should take care of all that

Gapper 23:20 23 Aug 2006

i put the xp disk in and it worked the second time and i chose to repair the disk but the pc crashed completly but no luck with the new hard drive

Gapper 23:22 23 Aug 2006

it wont even start in safe mode

Gapper 23:32 23 Aug 2006

please help

SANTOS7 23:40 23 Aug 2006

Are you saying now your PC will not startup at all Young gapper..

Gapper 23:42 23 Aug 2006

no i just have the same problem

SANTOS7 23:52 23 Aug 2006

I think a format and clean install is the way to go, as woodchip sugested if the MBR is corrupt a repair does not always work..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?