PC restarts

alythman 16:39 03 May 2005

Can anyone help? When I put a CD into my DVD Rom for whatever purpose, my computer immediately shuts down and restarts. I have an MSI KT6 Delta Series motherboard with an AMD Sempron 2600 CPU. I also have an ATI 9200se 128Mb Graphics and SOund blaster Audigy 2 sound card. When I recently upgraded my CPU, my motherboard would not recognise it over 2200, so I used MSI's Live Update program and updated the BIOS. The Computer now sees the CPU as 2600 sa it should be, but every now and then, when I place a CD into the Drive, it suddenly restarts. Any suggestions s to the problem will be gratefully appreciated. I am running Windows XP PRo with SP2, in case that's any help.

slimbo51 18:06 03 May 2005

Alot of restarts are caused by the PSU not being powerfull enough for the amount of hardware.

Your prob crops up quite alot on this site and as you say it happens when you start up a H/Ware device this could well be the reason.

250w units struggle on todays H/Ware requirements.
400w is about right.

What is your PSU rated at....?

alythman 18:44 03 May 2005

Thanks for the reply! The PSU is a new one and it's a 400 watt. I tried updating the drivers also, but to no avail either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?