PC restart probllems

casper69 08:18 30 Aug 2010

Hi all

i previously had a problem with my windows xp pc restarting just after the logo loading screen (please see below my last post), the windows cd didnt work.

speaking to a pc repair shop they advised me that the hard drives probably damaged and needs replacing and also data recovery from the damaged drive my question is

1. can i do the data recovery by myself ? (i only have a mac in the house at present)
2. i would need a new windows xp cd due to losing the last one.

thanks

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:01 30 Aug 2010

"hard drives probably damaged and needs replacing"

possible but not probable.

You have a corrupt windows file stopping winds from booting (possibly from a damaged HDD).

The chances are that a repair install will cure the problem.

You need to borrow a XP Home CD set the BIOS to boot from CD as the first boot device.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

casper69 09:02 08 Sep 2010

cheers Fruit Bat

sorry for the late reply, can i use a Windows XP ugrade cd?

also i have a dell mini 10v which has windows xp cd would i be able to use the disc that came with that ?

cheers

woodchip 09:30 08 Sep 2010

Also a driver can stop it fully booting, Have you tried Safe Mode tapping F5 as it starts, as this does not load all drivers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 08 Sep 2010

Yes

Provided the upgrade CD is the same system as the installed system i.e. XP Home for Home / Pro for Pro.

You cannot repair home with a pro or media centre cd.
You cannot use a System Recovery disk either.

casper69 13:03 08 Sep 2010

cheers woodchip i'll try that tonight.

cheers Fruit Bat i may just go for the upgrade cd (if i install windows xp originally with an oem disc this wouldnt make a differance?)

below is a link to a site that shows the Dell windows xp disc i have, so it would def not work?
my disc is the first one

cheers

click here

casper69 09:36 04 Oct 2010

hi guys

to advise, i have manage to sort out the problem now. i had to reformat the hard drive but before i did i bought a usb connector that plugs in to an internal hard drive (got it from maplin £20) all the files were still there and transfered them all to an external hard drive and then went into reinstalling windows xp and formating the hard drive. the pc works fine just now need a new virus scanner and then transfer the files over.

cheers for all the help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?