PC refuses to shut down

dewberry 09:22 14 May 2007

How do I find out what is stopping my pc to shut down. It goes as far ""saving your settings folowed by ""computer shutting down"" then it just restarts itself.
Ive been told there might be a program still running but cant find out what. Ive done spyware checks and virus scans and nothing is showing up there. Should I do "system restore" back to when I first bought it or would the problem still be there. Please any help would be appreciated,

Dewberry

birdface 09:36 14 May 2007

Try Right click bottom taskbar,Task manager,Processes,That will show you if something still running,You can stop it running from there ,But it may be something that you need to run computer,Post back what it is,And someone will advise you,My son had the same problem about a month ago,Switched it off using the on off button,And ended up having to reformat his computer as it would not work the next time he tried to switch it on.

FreeCell 10:17 14 May 2007

click here

This may help to resolve restarts.

dewberry 16:44 14 May 2007

right ive been into view event logs and found that there is a file missing it says the PCAMPR5 NDIS protocol driver service failed to start due to following error......is this the cause of pc not shutting down if so what do i do

FreeCell 17:15 14 May 2007

From what I find this error relates to a network adaptor. Do you use an adaptor for wireless connection?

See link (bottom entry) for solution that related to Dell.
click here

This seems to be start up error and should necessarily be the reason for your shutdown problem but if the fix works then its worth trying.

woodchip 17:27 14 May 2007

Program or hardware drive that windows cannot close. try it this way.

Go to Start/Run type MSCONFIG then try Diagnostic mode you can then load one program at a time until it will not close windows. Bingo

woodchip 17:28 14 May 2007

That should be under boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires