PC refuses to boot into XP?!

jonargent 23:19 25 Feb 2008

Hi all,

I've just installed XP on a PC i've built from my spares to test programs before I install them on my main PC, but it refuses to boot in to XP! It gets to the splash screen for a few seconds, the screen flickers, then dies and restarts. It will boot in to safe mode without a problem though?! I've tried resetting the BIOS (Battery out for 15secs and short the jumpers) but still the same problem... Any ideas?!

Zeppelyn 23:33 25 Feb 2008

Has it booted into XP at all? I assume it has as its installed, sounds like it could be a driver issue. Check the last harware you installed and uninstall from safe mode. Can you use a restore point?

jonargent 23:36 25 Feb 2008

Hi,

It literally is a fresh install, it installed without a problem, rebooted itself, and died... It will only boot in to safe mode...

Acx 23:36 25 Feb 2008

Possibly wrong graphic card drivers.

Try to install correct ones in safe mode (if you have the CD.

Make sure card is seated properly.

If you have on board graphics
You could take the card out and reinstall it according to the manual.

exodus 23:39 25 Feb 2008

Hi, boot into safe mode, open System Properties (Windows key + pause/break key) / Advanced tab/ and click the Settings box under 'Startup and Recovery'.

In the next window, under System Failure, remove the tick from 'Automatic restart'. Click OK and Apply changes.

When you next reboot normally, you may be presented with a BSOD but you should be displayed with an error message that may help with the cause of the problem.

exo

jonargent 23:39 25 Feb 2008

Not a bad idea, it is a 64mg ATi AGP card, will try another, see what happens!

Acx 23:43 25 Feb 2008

From memory my Dads old Mesh had a ATI splash screen on start up, so it is probably looking to start from the off as it were.

jonargent 23:49 25 Feb 2008

Acx - Top man!! Swapped out that card for a 32mg AGP Asus branded one I had lying about, straight in... Simplest problems eh? Mind you, it is an old Lucky Star K7VAT mobo i picked up from somewhere... Can't even find a manual for it!

Acx 23:55 25 Feb 2008

Glad to help - you should be able to put the ATI card back later if you download the drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?