PC Recovery

Haggismuncheruk 01:20 06 Feb 2005

When i bought my pc new it came with a cd to recover it if it crashed, which it did many times, but now the system is so far updated that if i have to recover it takes forever to update this and that and reload all the programs, as far as i can tell the info is kept on the d drive(partition) of the c drive and the cd will use these files to reload back to standard. Is there a way i can delete all the files from d drive get the system all up to date then make a new recovery cd and image/system files on the d drive

Jeffers22 07:29 06 Feb 2005

I would think that removing the D: partition would only have the effect of preventing you from ever doing a reinstall of your OS. You could perhaps invest in Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image and take a backup image of C: which would allow you to recover to your current state if needed. You may well need a further partition in which to store the image file(s), so an extra hard disk may be needed too if you don't have much spare space.

rawprawn 09:01 06 Feb 2005

If your hard drive is big enough, Acronis True Imaage will mahe a "Secure Zone" partition which will hold a copy of your C: drive this is easy to recover by tapping F11 at boot. So if say your HD is 60GB and your C: is 10GB even though you have a recovery partition already there you can have this no problem. It has saved my life many times.

Haggismuncheruk 21:50 06 Feb 2005

Thanks guys that sounds like what i need i will go off and do that now.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone