PC reboots and wont work till morning.

nd33cfc 11:57 29 Aug 2005

This may sound strange and its really getting on my nerves now.

My PC re-boots on its own accord when i am playing games late at night. After it has re-booted itself, however, my PC will not work properly and i need to swith off and retire for the night. However, it works fine in the morning again.

Looking at the event viewer i see the following entries :- "LoadPerf" many times. When i search for help the support centre tells me the following :-"Unloading the performance counter strings for service %1!s! (%2!s!) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.". It also says the registry might be corrupted, but i run "CCleaner" so i assume this fixes my registry. All other scans reveal no problems.

For info i run with the following :-

Windows XP Pro (SP2). Adaware. Microsoft Antispy. Zone Alarm. A2. Norton Antivirus. CCleaner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:14 29 Aug 2005

"My PC re-boots on its own accord when i am playing games late at night. After it has re-booted itself, however, my PC will not work properly and i need to swith off and retire for the night. However, it works fine in the morning again."

This sounds very much like a heat problem, heavy load game playing but works ok when cooled down.

Check your temperatures with Everest Home Edition click here

nd33cfc 15:19 29 Aug 2005

I have now downloaded "Everest Home Edition" and checked the temperature under "normal" working conditions (not playing games).

Motherboard - 38. CPU - 64 and Samsung SP0802N 33.

I played my game for 20 minutes and checked the temperature again.

Motherboard - 42. CPU - 67 and Samsung 35.

As you can see, the temperature is indeed rising while i am playing my game.

Can anyone now suggest a method of cooling my PC down ?

My PC is mounted inside a computer desk. I have drilled several 20mm holes in the back panel to allow better air circulation. Should i purchase a fan to mount close to my tower, or purchase better internal fans ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 29 Aug 2005

case fans

1 at front sucking in, 1 at rear blowing out.

click here

couple of quid each at your local computer shop.

nd33cfc 15:54 01 Sep 2005

I have successfully fitted 2 case fans as suggested. The result is an impressive 8 degree drop in all my components.

My PC has been running well so far, so i am confident this has solved my problems with rebooting.

Thank you for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?