PC reboot w/black screen, Peripherals turn off.

tb12goatlol 18:31 10 Jun 2017

* Components*

Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Power Supply: Corsair CX500 500W

Processor: AMD FX 4100 3.6Ghz 4 Core

Overclocking: None

Processor Cooler: Xigmatek Loki

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz/PC12800

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB (Replaced with GTX 750ti)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive 7200rpm 16MB Cache

Sound card: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Optical Drive: Sony 24x DVD/CD ? Re-Writer Black

Network card: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps

Wireless Card: Asus N15 300MBPS

After replacing my faulty GTX 660 with a GTX 750i (budget issues, dont ask) it was all running smoothly, until the last few days. Seemingly at random my screen will go black with a "cable not connected" notification on my monitor before restarting itself. My mouse and keyboard then stop working for moments.

I've checked my CPU and re applied thermal paste. Sorted out drivers and reinstalled clean ones for most stuff.

At this point it seems more likely to be a PSU issue but I really don't know. I bought a cheaper version that I was told would break just outside of warranty. (Its a week outside of it now but i cant find the order anyway)

Maybe more noteworthy is that it seems to work for several hours before going through its reboot and if i fully turn it off for a while (read 40 mins - 1 hour) it then works for hours again before rebooting. Yet if i try to reuse it after it reboots it will reboot again much easier than before, when web browsing for example.

So idk, maybe its a memory dump issue, maybe its this pos PSU that I have, but if anyone has idea please lmk.

tb12goatlol 22:24 10 Jun 2017

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:35 11 Jun 2017

Have you used something like speccy to check temperatures and voltages?

tb12goatlol 11:12 11 Jun 2017

Hi Fruit Bat,

Yeah I've had a look. Everything is within a small % voltage wise and temperatures are not excessive. GPU goes up to 60C when strained in game but when running tests nothing is out of the ordinary when it reboots.

Gonna try a BIOS update soon but have to buy a new USB. I'm tearing my hair out.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires