PC re-booting when trying to run applications.

Tom Steele 17:41 12 Nov 2004

Until yesterdayI had a 'autoexec.nt' error, but thanks to this forum that is now resolved, and I can install the applications effected by the error. Now though, when I try to run three of these applications, my PC re-boots itself for no apparent reason.
I am using Windows XP Home. Can anybody out there help please.

VoG II 17:44 12 Nov 2004

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

Now if you run one of those programs, you should see an error message on a blue screen. Post the error message here.

Tom Steele 18:06 12 Nov 2004

The error message is very long, but briefly says that windows has been shut down, and goes on to say that the BIOS should be adjusted, the technical info' is as follows

xxx STOP: 0X00000008E (0X0000090, 0F6CDAB3C,0XB18E89DC,0X00000000)

xxx ALCXSENS.SYS - ADDRESS F6CDAB3C base at F6C98000 datestamp 3F33a52a

uisge dorch 18:32 12 Nov 2004

A quick dip into Google with "ALCXSENS.SYS" throws up several references to "Realtek" audio drivers, this is one of them - click here

Sorry it's not of much use to you, but it may be a pointer in the right direction.

VoG II 18:37 12 Nov 2004

As far as I can see ALCXSENS.SYS is something to do with onboard sound. Doesa that sound likely/possible?

click here might help.

Tom Steele 08:23 13 Nov 2004

The people who kindly responded to my problem, both point to it being 'sound card' related, and one of them suggests that the 'Realtek' card specifically could be the root cause.

Since I have a 'Realtek' sound card, it seems more than likely that they are correct. I will look at this further and let everybody know if my actions are succesful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?