PC Re-Booting

Sibbo 10:53 24 Nov 2004

I recently had a hard drive failure so I had to make my back up drive my boot drive. I've done a clean install of XP Home, but now when my PC boots up it takes ages. Also when it eventually gets to the desktop and it's waiting for the the System Tray to load it suddenly decides to re-boot over and over again. The only way to stop this appears to be switching off from the mains and then switching back on. Also, since reinstallation my PC states that my Canon i990 Printer can work faster if it is connected to a USB2 port, but it already is. I have installed Service paxk 2. Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 11:07 24 Nov 2004

Can you start ok in safe-mode? There could be a conflict with something loading at startup time.

In safe-mode (press F8) at boot up, try start _ run _msconfig

and under the startup tab, disable anything unnecessary. click here
for a list of what each is. click here
for another list of what you may be able to disable.

Sibbo 12:31 24 Nov 2004

I'll try safe mode, but I've not put anything onto my PC that was not on there before. In fact, the hard drive is nearly empty because I have not got around to installing everything yet.

JIM 12:46 24 Nov 2004

Not suggesting you have a virus/worm problem.

Can you confirm that before you logged on for the updates sp2 etc after install of windowsxp, that you had antivirus and internet explorer security installed?

Sibbo 23:03 24 Nov 2004

I believe I installed SP2 prior to installing Norton.

Sibbo 11:43 27 Nov 2004

All appears ok now. I installed some newer drivers for my graphics card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?